For "Older Folks" who find it difficult to keep up with this generation!

It is very difficult to be "cool" when you are no longer that! I will just continue to be myself and hope that someone will enjoy my experiences! Join me, you seniors!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Gardening For The Soul

Ahh, I just spent a weekend planting broccoli. When I am gardening, I have plenty of time to THINK. It used to be that I thought of my dad at these times because he was the one who taught me to garden, but Dad is gone now and his farming abilities are being carried on via his daughter. (Thanks, Dad!)

So, this time I was wondering how many deaf people have the good fortune to have a garden, whether it be veggies or flowers or both. When you are out there, be it rain or shine, you forget everything else and concentrate on getting a straight row and the seed at the proper depth and wondering if you have the right mixture of fertilizers, lime, slug bait, etc. Then you cannot keep yourself from running back and forth after the first week or so to see if anything has come up. You think, "groan" when considering all that bending over. I assure you, you will not think twice about crouching, bending reaching, etc. for HOURS because you are doing something relaxing and worth while. Gardening is excellent THERAPY for whatever ails you.

Gardening is something a deaf person can do without thinking twice. 'Even before spring comes, you are pouring over seed catalogues and becoming real excited over all of the new seed offerings. You can purchase pellet seeds now, that is for the tiny seeds, like carrots and lettuce and makes planting them alot easier because you can SEE the white pellets against the dark soil. No guessing with seed pellets!

Apartment dwellers can make use of raised beds, you can get alot of veggies in one or two raised beds! Add a few Marigolds to scare off the bugs and presto you have a sight for sore eyes!

Good luck and do not forget the Epsom Salts twice a year to give your plants magnesium!

Lantana


1 comment:

  1. My grandma LOVES having a garden too and i remember watching her work hard in her harden full of herbs, vegetables, fruits, and flowers as i grew up. I'd love to have my own garden someday :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to scroll down and see everything! And I would love it if you left a comment.