For "Older Folks" who find it difficult to keep up with this generation!

It is very difficult to be "cool" when you are no longer that! I will just continue to be myself and hope that someone will enjoy my experiences! Join me, you seniors!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Student Life Counselors (R.A.)

I am very happy that someone brought up the subject of Student Life Counselors (R.A.s) in residential schools. 'Recognizing these often overworked and usually unappreciated people is long overdue.

What many people do not know or realize is that the education of a SLC never ends. These people take classes during vacations, summers and anytime that it might be convenient for all to get together with an instructor. As a former and retired SLC I have lost track of all the classes I took, but I do recall that there were many of them. 'Two being Self Defense and Human Sexuality. These classes go on your record and often count towards a raise in pay.

There has been alot of dead wood working in the dorms over the years and this possibly created the idea that all SLC's are losers and/or undereducated housewives. There were more than a few of the later and one year we had an influx of left-overs from the State School For The Blind, who would have been otherwise laid off. These people knew nothing about the deaf, nor could they sign. The results being that the signing staff was overused and overwelmed while the non-signing staff drew the same salary for doing next to nothing. One woman I worked with sat at her desk and swore at the kids for 8 hours a day.

Over the years the job requirements became more strict and no one was hired unless they passed a video test proving that they could sign. (Keep in mind the dead wood remained until they either quit or retired). Getting fired was never an option because of the Union.

I am not sure about other schools but our school was a closed Union Shop and we could not work unless we joined the union. This was both good and bad. I recall one young woman that was able to keep her job only because she would run crying to the Union and they would step in and go to her defense. There are always some SLC who want only to be popular and be best buds with the students. First and foremost, an SLC has to earn his/her students' respect and you cannot do that by acting the same age as the students.

A book written by dorm staff is long overdue. The frequent suggestion that the SLC sit on their hind ends for 8 hours a day is ridiculous. These people have the students for 8 hours each day, often longer if there is an away game or a field trip somewhere. There are parties, basketball and football games to attend to, not to mention the Proms, the Homecoming Dances, and so on and so forth. All of us had to take turns doing bus duty on weekends and this usually involved a great deal of overtime. There were situations when there was not enough SLC on hand so some of us would volunteer to work a double shift, both for the extra money and to make sure the students were being cared for properly.

I have ALWAYS said that the greatest attribute an SLC could have is COMMON SENSE. Without common sense one would never make the grade. I have seen many teachers with Masters Degrees without a shred of common sense. Some things you can learn only through experience. 'Higher education is a wonderful, useful tool but to put it to good use you need the ability to REASON. Not everyone can lay claim to this attribute.

Eventually I will have more on the subject of Student Life Counselors.

4 comments:

  1. More please! What is happening to tutor these days? I trained as a lip reading tutor 2 years ago and it's a pleasure to teach adults, I can't imagine what it's like to teach children. I do enjoy your blog. Keep it up :-)
    Tina
    http://funnyoldlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Times are changing, that's for sure.

    I was not aware that there was even such a thing as a lipreading tutor. I always presumed that lipreading was something you had to be blessed with. I am so happy to learn that someone out there cares.

    Thank you for your post.

    Lantana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lantana. I worked in a residential dorm for 13 years, 11 as a supervisor for staff in my dorm. It was really hard work, as your blog attests. Being a CODA and my mother having been raised in a dorm environment, I was strict because SHE was strict.

    I am actually working on a book about being a CODA but I know I will have some words to say about the dorm system. Lots of dead wood, for sure...and nothing I could do to get rid of these people (hired before I was in the picture).

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://inblindschool.blogspot.com/

    former student

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to scroll down and see everything! And I would love it if you left a comment.