For "Older Folks" who find it difficult to keep up with this generation!

It is very difficult to be "cool" when you are no longer that! I will just continue to be myself and hope that someone will enjoy my experiences! Join me, you seniors!

Monday, January 28, 2008

Lest We Forget

So many controversies lately. Not only in the deaf culture, but everywhere. To quote a not-so-famous man, "Can't we all just get along"?

We will not go there -- politics. Ugh. When I was a young girl and not yet deaf, I can recall my dad exclaiming , "Those so and so Republicans!" . But then later on in his life he became one of them. I think it was more peer pressure from his friends and fellow Elks Brothers than following his own personal feelings and opinion. I have always vowed not to be like my dad. I think for myself and do my own thing, whether it eventually proves to be in the right direction or not. In the end you have to live with your own guilt. No one can do THAT for you.

Ahh, the Deafread blog awards. I happen to know from experience that when these types of things pop up, certain deaf people will do ANYTHING to attend and make their presence known. I know of personal deaf friends who took out a 2nd mortgage on their home in order to attend certain bowling tournaments. Many, many deaf people hocked 10 years off of their lives to attend some other deaf functions, including cruises and European trips. 'Often a couple could afford for only one of them to go, so the man (or perhaps the woman) would go on alone without her/his spouse. What happened is that many marriages were broken up because of the "fooling around".

I have NEVER understood the part of deaf culture that hungers and craves constant good times. And this new Deafread award thingy only adds to the controversy. I am left scratching my head. What next???!

"Blogging" and Vlogging are two separate elements in the deaf world. With Blogging we have to have at least SOME command of English. (This is pretty rare in deafdom). 'Vlogging only entails ASL, but indeed! Some of us learned ASL as small children at a residential school. We were not "formally taught" in college or elsewhere, forcing our ASL to be smoothe and beautiful (and without much personality). Many of us are Native Signers and without all of the fancy "footwork" that is forced on us today.

Awhile back I had cataract surgery along with a very welcome ASL Interpreter. The first thing she asked me was, "ASl" or "English". This was a brand new dilemma to me, because I had worked at a residential school for many, many years and had EVERY kind of sign language there is crammed down my throat, with "Use it or else!" But I responded to her with "ASL" and we got along just fine. 'Except for one thing. My interpreter was a young black woman, and I did not know the latest politically correct sign for "Black". Luckily she understood, but I was left feeling embarassed and sad at the crumbling of the ASL that I was raised with.

So that is my thought for today. 'Sorry if I was rambling, but from watching the news on T.V. I suspect that I am not the only one!

Respectfully, Lantana

6 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective on politics. I've always wondered how my own dad could turn so Conservative. All while I was growing up he was a "liberal" Democrat, then suddenly during the Reagan years it was like he flipped a switch. The odd thing is we still agree on many issues, yet he votes for leaders who do not support the issues he believes in. I haven't understood this. But I've given up talking about it because I've come to the conclusion there's no point. Family peace is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, you put a smile on my face!
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this: " I think for myself and do my own thing, whether it eventually proves to be in the right direction or not. In the end you have to live with your own guilt. No one can do THAT for you."

    No wonder I like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! It is very different of your perspective on right direction.
    I admitted I sometime feel gulity what I would not follow my Dad's believe.

    Likely KW say that about Reagen's. I have hard time to understand about President's wife. Hillary Clinton's situation.

    Funny One of younger daugther, Tara and older one Lilly They were debate about President Jefferson impeached. President Clinton was suppose to impeached.
    Tara thought President Clinton was good. I said Some of good and other bad example what he did to Moncia. he suppose to impeached. For use women?. Preident Jefferson lost his wife and really love the Sally and made look bad as old time. Jefferson should not impeached. Tara say Why. His wife died that time and he is lonely. It is too old fashion and looking at his black and White childrens. It is difference story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though my family was deaf, they never really went to all the deaf functions. My mom liked her privacy, but I think my dad would have gone more often if she would go too.

    Like you, I can't understand the need for taking out a 2nd mortgage or going broke to attend a deaf cruise or whatever, but on the other hand, I can understand wanting to be with "your own kind". When I need my social time with other deaf people, I just visit my close friend and then I feel better. I never was one of those social butterflies and would much rather be home with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a very dear deaf friend, who has now passed on -- and left nothing. Because he sold his life to attend every exciting deaf function there was! I wonder if it was worth it to him?

    Different strokes for different folks.

    I recall rocking my baby half the night at a deaf club while my husband played poker. At New Years parties there, I hid in the bathroom. Most of the friends I chatted with back in those days are now deceased. I have some fond memories of the deaf club.

    KW I can see that it is a generational thing. How sad that people have to depend on their friends to make important solutions! That scares me. What good is our political system if we play Musical Chairs??

    Thanks to all of you for posting. I live blogging, but should do it more often. There are not enough hours in the day!

    Karen, believe me, when you get to be my age, GUILT is a big part of your thinking!

    Lantana

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to scroll down and see everything! And I would love it if you left a comment.