For "Older Folks" who find it difficult to keep up with this generation!

It is very difficult to be "cool" when you are no longer that! I will just continue to be myself and hope that someone will enjoy my experiences! Join me, you seniors!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

My First Full Body Massage!

'Not particularly a hearing impaired/deaf/Deaf issue, there is a link here that might make sense to alot of deaf folks. I hope.

I live mainly in a hearing world. My kids are all hearing, as is my DH. I have an "affliction" that many of you may or may not recognize: A sore neck!

Even if you only speak ASL and nothing else, you STILL have to move your head! Our upper mechanicism is in constant motion, our heads swiveling in all directions, almost 24/7. You feel a vibration, great, but your head and neck swivel to find where it come from. Your friend, (deaf or hearing!) taps you on the shoulder, inviting communication. Another head/neck workout. Lights flashing or blinking? No matter if it is a planned event, due to your purchased system that let's you know if and when your phone, doorbell, baby is making a racket. You still have to turn your head! 'While your poor neck takes the beating. ~~Sigh ~~ !

We all are aware of the "busy neck syndrome". :(

So I decided to do something about the pain. They tell me nowdays that there is "No Excuse" for putting up with pain. All the magazines tell you that! Medical Miracles, right? So off I went to a local massage therapist, after a kindly friend called and made me an appointment.

My first impression that there was "nothing in writing". The gal, (who was nice enough), keyed me in to signals to let her know if she was "hitting me too hard". "Less or more", right? She was aware of my right knee replacement and that I was deaf, that's about it. I also informed her that this was my first massage therapy EVER, and that this year, I will be 75 years old! Not even a blink out of her! "Wow, 75, never would have guessed it". And so on. (Always good for a tip later).

After I was laid out to rest on the table like fresh meat, she was kind enough to kneel so that we could communicate without much problem. Our signals were, "a little bit" and "more". Simple enough. Keep in mind that your face is buried the whole time into a stirrup (for your face, not for your legs).

Okay, this was an HOUR LONG EVENT. I am no chicken, so I went for broke! My tolerance for pain is very, very good, so I was meek and accepting. 'Only once did I call a halt, when my right arm when completely numb!

Ahhh, well, that was quite a workout!! My husband was upset the next day because my back was entirely black and blue. I remained in bed until almost NOON, to make sure that everything "still worked". I had hot pads, cold pads, and Robaxin to relax my muscles.

That was 3 days ago. Today I can happily share with you that I am "almost" back to "normal "(whatever that is), and that I can swivel my neck without intense pain. I am still black and blue,but thinking positive and looking forward to the day when I will have "follow up" massage therapy!

This ain't for wimps!







23 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You've been initiated. My first massage was heavenly and I was hooked from that point after. I can't go often enough!

    Bruising does happen to people with thinner skin. My mom bruises after a rub now and then and my grandmother does so all the time. Blood thinning medications will also increase bruising after a massage, but I'm glad you agree that it was worth it.

    I get a massage every year for my birthday and a couple times in between. Each time, I talk with the therapist before hand so we can work out all the cues for a deaf person. It's always pretty easy. Thank goodness.

    ~ LaRonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh the way you worded it! I have no desire to have a massage but thanks for the tip. Take care.
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me thought about " I love Lucy", I feel like I am Lucy and stuck with the massage. I really need massage every one or twice week.

    How much you are luck to have a massage. I love massage I always fell sleep and let my muscle relaxed. It seem never solve neck-pain..

    Next time, Can we go getting massage? I will be probably dead.

    Deaf Pixie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you have shiatsu massage? This also leaves some bruising but it works for knots in the muscles.

    Glad to see you enjoyed the well-deserved massage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shiatsu? (?) I would be happy to hear of your definition of this! (Groan). It cannot be much worse.

    I frequent a particular healthfood store for my parrot, Lenny's diet (not my own!) The gal who works there lost a leg from TOXIC SHOCK SYNDROME and she is so terribly interesting, she and I get along like a house afire. She reccomended this massage therapist, who happens to be right on highway 101, a big tourist attraction (the highway, not the therapist).

    Being me,I do not like changes,so I am probably hooked there for awhile. I AM OPEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS!! Anyone else out there with "deaf backs"???

    Lantana, Lantana's Latitude
    Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patty,

    Here's the definition of shiatsu massage -

    "Shiatsu is a therapy that works on the individual as a complete being – not just the physical body but also on an emotional and/or mental level. The philosophy underlying Shiatsu is that vital energy flows throughout the body in a series of channels known as meridians. This energy it is believed must flow freely throughout the body to promote good health and vitality."

    It is very good for deep tissue massage and I actually prefer this method to help relieve the "deaf backs" as you put it this way, heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I like the sound of that! I think probably that most of us with disabilities need something like this more than the average person. I know that "knots" are what I had (have?) and the massage got rid of alot of them. I would say that my "deaf neck" is about 40 percent better than it was Before Massage. 'Guess I should have done it long ago.

    At least I will "go to my grave" without knots!

    Thanks for your kindly explanation. I have seen the different types of massages advertised, but never understood what they were, exactly. What is "Rolfing"?

    Lantana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rolfing is actually physical manipulation. The rolfer, a trained and certifed technician, will knead and massage your muscles and bones to hyperextend your stiff muscles in order to make you be able to move and walk about with more ease.

    The perspective of rolfing is that the skin/muscle needs to be taken care of first in order to take care of the muscle.

    Ie. How can we take care of an internal house when we do not care for the external house?

    Rolfing helps you balance your body as well.

    Rolfing isn't cheap as well.

    Here is the site.
    http://www.jeffreyburch.com/home/jb1/page/142/45

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very, very interesting! I wonder if Rolfing would help my balance problem? The problem is due to intensive inner ear damage, but you never know!

    Thank you for that website, I have it marked and will print it out for my family.

    Lantana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your discussing are interesting!

    Many deaf people are discussing at deafloves.com as well......
    I like to go to this site talk with deaf friends about news, video, blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember while orking for the post office, I had severe back and shoulder pain and booked an appointment with a massage therapist. He worked on me for almost an hour and it didn't help me much afterwards. I still had the pain and I often wondered about going to see someone different. But at this point, being a stay at home mom, I don't have the back pain like I used to, so no need for massage.

    Good luck with your future appts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello again,Jenny! How are you feeling?

    I suspect, that like everything else, you have to "stick with it" and keep going until your pain lessens. (Another "racket"?) We have some Hot Springs in Washington State where you have your massage and then go soak in mineral water from the hot springs. I have purchased gift certificates there for my youngest son (who has crippling arthritis), but have never done it for myself. I guess I always thought that there was no pain that a glass of wine would not cure! Hee, hee.

    Thanks for your recent post, I have missed you.

    Lantana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you can explore me into my business about "Visual Hands Massage" By the way I am Deaf Massage Therapist! Smiles.
    Here is my web www.massageanywhere.com/profile/Aletheia
    Or you can explore my name Aletheia Oliver. Unfortunately, I dont travel to other states. But, I am currently using my Seattle downtown office 3 days per week all day available. If any Seattle people going there. Or visitation from other states. Please make appointment to see me or call 206-835-1616 email visualhands07@gmail.com Thank you. See you soon!
    Aletheia Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  14. plzzz tell me which one is the best equipements for Body Massager ..????

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheers to your first full body massage! :) That effect is quite normal for first timers of massage. Hopefully, you will be able to adjust on your next sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. whoah this weblog is magnificent i like reading your articles.

    Stay up the good work! You already know, lots of people are hunting round for
    this information, you can aid them greatly.

    Feel free to surf to my site Continuing (Rupeeneversleeps.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoy to read this kind of the massage therapy blog and keep sharing this amazing information with us.

    massage tantrique en Belgique & massage californien

    ReplyDelete
  18. I appreciate your blog. Keep us updated by posting such kind of info.

    ReplyDelete
  19. everything tried first seems to b good :p , nice blog though , keep sharing your experiences .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing this information. Massage is something that relaxes your body and makes you feel calm.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing it, The post is well organized.

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to scroll down and see everything! And I would love it if you left a comment.