For "Older Folks" who find it difficult to keep up with this generation!

It is very difficult to be "cool" when you are no longer that! I will just continue to be myself and hope that someone will enjoy my experiences! Join me, you seniors!

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Oil Change Syndrome

Oh no! DH says it is time for an oil change! I knew that subject was coming up and I always dread it and put this painful chore off as long as possible! "It's way past due" says DH frowning crossly as if the world might soon be coming to an end.

' Ask any woman! And for a deaf women it is even more hectic. I'd rather have a root canal!

These guys with cute hats and coveralls come out of the building with a huge smile, a newspaper, a clipboard and "mumble, mumble, mumble~~~~~~. Me: "I am sorry, I am deaf, I have to read your lips. I just want an oil change, please". The guy throws me an uncomfortable look and get's to work. Soon he returns with his clipboard frowning and wearing a painful expression on his face ~~~~~~~scary, huh? "Mumble, mumble,mumble" and he proceeds to point out with his pen all of these extra, mysterious services that need to be done to my car, PLUS the oil change. That's when I start getting sick to my stomach and cursing my husband privately for not bringing the car himself!

"I just want an oil change please!!" And I deliberately turn my head away, shame on me for "using" my deafness! The fellow looks hurt and worried and I am positive my car is going to fall apart before I clear the driveway!

Yesterday I timidly told the man that I thought I needed new rubber blades for my windshield wipers. And I showed him the funny marks that they leave on my windshield. "NO Problem Ma'am!" And he gets busy once again. My stomach starts contorting again, I smell a rat! So I ask him "How much??" And he replied, "Thirty dollars!"

"Put the old ones back on!" I tell him. Growl.

So I go home with my bitter story and you know what? Dear Hubby patted me on the head and told me I did a good job!

What about my nerves??!

12 comments:

  1. Haha.. I know the feeling... Sigh.. men.. heh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just turn to the hubby and say, "Honey, the van needs an oil change!"

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I hate taking our cars to the service for oil change. When man comes out, I tell him "Oil change, nothing else" and he says, "ok, ok" shoving me their clip boards for me to read and sign. I pay nothing since we bought the oil change program at the time of our new cars purchase.
    I replace windshild wipers for $8.99 a pair and air filters by myself for only 9.99 from Auto Zone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *giggles*

    I understand! I don't like to go there, so my hubby does it all the time! I guess that your husband can take a job to get it there for an oil change for you. Have him bring flowers for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has pulled this one on me. I just tell them I know nothing and they will have to call my husband. They know his work number. They know I'm the "deaf wife" who only picks up the car. It's not only the deafness. I really don't know cars and I have no interest. It isn't a "woman" thing either. I am good with computers and other mechanical stuff. Cars are dirty on the inside. I just don't like dirty things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If that happened at an EZ Lube, you're entitled to restitution.

    http://www.knbc.com/news/14953243/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would suggest finding a good neighborhod mechanic, rather than going to a oil change place.

    We pay about the same, and sometimes we have to leave the car, but he can always be trusted. We have built a relationship, talking to the same guys every time, who benefit from loyal customers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With all due respects to other comments,

    your DH owes you a BIG and nice dinner at a fancy restaurant in Seaside!

    this comment from a native Oregonian who know Seaside has lots of good restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Put the old ones back on!" Ha ha ha ha- I'm cracking up! What a hoot!

    ~ LaRonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bill, we used to have a regular place where I could drop the car off and walk home. We live in the toolies and businesses do not last long here. When Oilcan Henry's opened up here, we were THRILLED until we discovered their M.O. Rip off the ladies, right??!

    My husband usually does the dirty deed for me but he has so MANY vehicles to care for, so I try and lessen his load. Did you know that it costs $70.00 for an oilchange on a Corvette? When they see you driving in with a 'Vette, they get dollar signs for eyeballs!

    Thanks, Guys and Dolls. And LaRonda,I really did tell him to put the old blades back on! Like Lisa C says, you can get them for $10.00 a pair elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And to the person familiar with Seaside, after this episode I was more prepared for a BAR than a restaurant!

    Thanks again, Lantana

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL LOL YOU MAKE ME LAUGH HARD LIKE ROCK !!!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to scroll down and see everything! And I would love it if you left a comment.