For "Older Folks" who find it difficult to keep up with this generation!

It is very difficult to be "cool" when you are no longer that! I will just continue to be myself and hope that someone will enjoy my experiences! Join me, you seniors!

Monday, January 4, 2010

A New Year, a new profile?

I made a pact with myself that I would start being more loyal to my blog. 'Looking over my profile here, it almost doesn't sound like me! Something happened, I CHANGED, or got old, or something, perhaps both? Nodding.

I keep in touch with a majority of my former students via Facebook, and I find that I enjoy this a great deal, perhaps because I can get by with short sentences, I do not have to cringe over any writing boo boo's because everyone else makes the same slip ups. On Facebook no one is trying to impress anybody! We hang loose and it does not matter there if you are a Democrat or a Republican because no one cares. On Facebook everyone laughs at themselves!

As a widow I am doing okay. I have 2 more great-grandchildren on the way, no, not twins, from two different grandchildren. At 30 years old, my oldest grandson is finally having his first child, and my grand daughter, Leah is expecting her 3rd, hopefully a girl this time, perhaps to help civilize her two brothers (ages 2 and 5).

I live in a very small town where I am part of the scenery. Everyone knows I am deaf here, and react accordingly. The other day, I was a little startled while waiting for a new battery to be installed in my Subaru. A young girl with a baby sat down across from me and apparently tried to make a conversation, and the rest of the people in the waiting room told her I was deaf. (Again, small town!) I was alternately reading The Oregonian and thumbing away on my Blackberry. All of a sudden this young woman pointed at the newspaper and exclaimed "You can read!" It had been a very long time since I'd had a put down like this, so I was "temporarity mute", but not for long! My smart mouth got busy and I replied with, "Can YOU read?" And she came back with "Not very well", which softened the conversation somewhat. She was there along enough to apoligize to me over and over again and came and hugged me before she left. All's well that ends well.

I have added to my family. I now have FOUR CATS instead of two, and yes, Lenny is still squawking away. One of my grand daughters found two tiny kittens, a third had died, and since there was no sign of the mother, she took them home and bottle fed them. Then later brought them to me, all the way from Modesto, Ca. One kitten is a "Rag Doll" type, with that sort of coloring, and the second is a blonde with lots of white markings. "Ali and Peach". They are really adorable cats, so loving and (now) they are getting along pretty well with BG and Kula. I was a little bit surprised when I found out how much vets cost now, and for TWO, not one at a time! Both vets are female. Hurrah!

I bought new vinyl windows for the older part of the house, to keep the 145 mph gusts from blowing me away. One thing at a time. Next will be new countertops and kitchen sink. Then maybe a new set of wheels! 'One thing at a time, I do not do well when I have too many things to think about!

The new year has started out well, everyone in the family is working. For that I am very thankful.

'Until next time. The Tempurpedic is calling. Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and glad to see you back. I know I need to be more faithful with my v/blog too. I have been more focused with my doctoral work and chasing 3 yr old around. He is going to be in a preschool for half day everyday soon and finally!

    Try natural latex mattress instead Tempuredic. It emits toxic chemicals. See the linkLiving Green

    I do not mean to be discouraging, I am just fed up with companies who do not care about our health and environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interesting thing about ragdoll cats is they relax completely, almost going limp, when picked up. Does your cat do this? (It is a recognized breed and this trait passes down to descendants.)

    All the best to you in 2010 and new ventures. You'll be surprised at the power of single women without constant committments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anne Marie and Dianrez for your most timely posts. Actually I have never noticed any ODOR connected with my mattress, but perhaps that is because it is actually a Posturpedic, not a Tempur. The darned thing is so comfortable that I can hardly get my lard out of bed in the mornings. I love going to bed and watching t.v. I feel like a princess! However, I HAVE been having alot of aches lately, and nothing helps, not even prescription Naproxen. My husband also complained for a year before he died, and when I asked him what hurt, he replied, "Everything!" So your followup urls are worth a serious study! Happy New year to you, too, and a doctorate is nothing to sneeze at!

    Dianrez, yes Ali my new "Rag Roll" cat has those characteristics. She is also somewhat of a loner, tho she enjoys being cuddled and loved, she spends alot of time hiding. I think she is intiminated by my 2 older cats, who were "only children" for quite a long time! ' Vet visit today, Ali weighed (at 5 months) only 4 and a half pounds! She is all fur! So soft she feels like a rabbit! On the bottom of two of her feet she has some "blonde" markings like her sister, Peach, so she is a true "calico". I find that 4 cats and a parrot are a bit much. My oldest cat, Kula, a purebred Bengal is going on 14 years old, and shows no signs of slowing down. When she turned 10 I let her go outside -- I thought, why not let her be a true CAT during her senior years! She comes in and out and remains healthy and get's along fine with the skunks that live under my garden shed! "BG" a shelter cat was Joe's barn cat. She was raised high on the rafters of our barn! When Joe died and I brought BG home, she spent alot of time creeping around above my kitchen cupboards, but is finally getting domesticated.

    Thanks for listening! I hope you like cats! As for the being single and "independent", I was single for 25 years before I remarried, and Joe spoiled me badly. I miss being coddled, but yes it feels good to do my own thing at times and do it WHEN I WANT, without having to discuss it at length beforehand!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see you are doing well.

    I am very sorry to hear about Joe.

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to scroll down and see everything! And I would love it if you left a comment.