For "Older Folks" who find it difficult to keep up with this generation!

It is very difficult to be "cool" when you are no longer that! I will just continue to be myself and hope that someone will enjoy my experiences! Join me, you seniors!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Speechless

My age is no secret, so I am being frank here. I have been with the same medical provider for over 40 years, in fact when I retired from the State of Washington, I was grandfathered in, and was assured by all concerned that I would ALWAYS have this medical plan. When I turned a certain age, this Plan (K) became my secondary provider and Medicare the Primary provider. Okay, fine, all's well, no problem!

I have always longed for a female doctor. When I had my knee replacement and I whined to the surgeon about my lack of bone strengthening medication, the surgeon (not a part of K), told me to GET A WOMAN DOCTOR! K was trying to force me to drive to Portland for a bone density test, but sorry guys and dolls I do NOT DRIVE TO PORTLAND for anyone's benefit, including my own. I would rather be ALIVE with brittle bones than dead in a horrific auto accident! Portland traffic is not for sissies!

Finally (another long story), I fired my male doctor and was given a female and this past week I had an appointment with her. We got along just fine and nothing was mentioned about an ASL Interpreter, or anything in regard to my deafness.

At the end of my appointment, as usual I received the customary computer printout, which is great, particularly for a deaf person who wishes to make sure that all issues were covered and with no misunderstandings.

Guess what? I was again referred to The Oregon Osteoporosis Center -- in Portland. I thought a woman doctor was supposed to be in my camp? (Weeping silently).

And that isn't all. At the end of the printout in bold type (shouting), "Your clinician has requested a referral for Speech Therapy Services. You will receive a referral authorization in the mail."

Why now, after 40+years??

BECAUSE MEDICARE WILL PAY FOR A SPEECH THERAPIST, that's why! K was never interested in improving my speech during the previous 40+ years when it was *their* dime.

Okay, great, FROM NOW ON, I AM GOING TO ASK FOR AN ASL INTERPRETER!

The devil made me do it!



9 comments:

  1. What a crock of patooey! Speech Therapy? That's mind-blowing! Any family members or friends who might be able to drive you up tot PDX for the bone density test? Take care.

    ~ L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me get this straight. Your "clinician" is your new female doctor?

    It's crazy that Medicare is willing to fork up $5,000 for an el-cheapo wheelchair and the money to pay for speech therapy after 40+ years. My M-I-L calls Medicare the Bizarro waste effect, because it's taxpayers money, never mind the patient's needs. Not surprising, that.

    Speechless, indeed.

    Ann_C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing new under the moon! In the 2010 Medicare booklet, it says that BOTH Medicare and Medicaid
    pay for both speech therapy and cochlear implant.
    Yes, out of anti-CI taxpayers' pockets, but there is no mention of paying for interpretive assistance! We are still treated as second-class
    citiens! Or better yet, "Children of a Lesser God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LaRonda, I made the rounds of speech therapists, I assure you. I went deaf in May, to WSD in September, and my mom could tell the difference in my voice and speech by December. I consider speech therapy child abuse and have walked out of many of them! Ugh. At my age, I am lucky to be able to recall what I was going to SAY, let alone HOW TO SAY IT! Har, har! Thanks for your post.

    Anonymous: You mean I was not clear? The word "clinician" is a tongue twister for me, so it will always be "doctor" with me! I stick with what is familiar. Thankyou for your post. Strange that the "clinician" decided that a 76 year old woman needed to learn to talk! :/

    Hi Jean: ' Long time. You mean you actually read the Medicare "brochure"? The only time I see mine is when I remove it from the house to make room for the current one. Am I missing something? "K" is going to have to pay for a Terp for me from now on, thanks to their very own doctor's unfamillarity with deaf culture! In the past I only asked for one for surgeries.
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Geo, you are a gem! You remind me of the old Sunday School song, "What a friend I have in Jesus", instead it should read, "What a friend I have in Geo"! Bless your heart for caring and watching out for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That doctor wanted to get you speech therapy so she wouldn't have to take the effort to understand you? Yeah, take a pill or a speech lesson and all better. Sheesh.

    There must be millions of people who are far from medical centers having the expertise they need, so you aren't alone. I wouldn't let that stop me, though.

    Make it an outing, bunch together some appointments and errands, and GO. And afterwards, treat yourself to visits with friends, a nice spa treatment and a relaxing overnight stay in a hotel. After all, you earned it! Repeat as often as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's about Sex therapist can covered the medicare?

    I am speechless about speech therapist!

    Quiet funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. Speech therapy? Ohhhh! Ohhh! Ohhh! I am speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lantana,

    I know it is harder if your doctor should solve with ASL interpreter instead of Speech Therpist. I do not really remember about Sex therpist. I know it is frustrated Medicare.

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to scroll down and see everything! And I would love it if you left a comment.