For "Older Folks" who find it difficult to keep up with this generation!

It is very difficult to be "cool" when you are no longer that! I will just continue to be myself and hope that someone will enjoy my experiences! Join me, you seniors!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A New Community (New to Me, Anyway!)

After living 20 years in the same community, trying to settle down in a new location def has it's trials and errors, particularly for a deaf person. 'Not necessarily MY errors, but I guess I have made a few, I admit!

On the Coast, everyone knew me, or if they didn't actually have the pleasure (hee, hee!), they had heard OF me! I had no problem down there being accepted and a few of the clerks from the supermarket even took brief classes in ASL to be able to accomodate me.

Now, it is a different kettle of fish, I have to start all over again educating folks on deaf culture and what NOT to do when being introduced to a deafie for the first time. My next door neighbor and her husband announced their visit from my front porch by waving their arms and pointing to their ears. :/ Luckily for me I made quick friends with the Association secretary and she spread (my) word rapidly. AND my brand new UltraTec strobe-light doorbell system brought my reputation up quite a few notches. Now the neighbors know that they will not be ignored when they find themselves on my doorstep.

People here were quick to offer "help". I was not and am not sure what they meant by "help", but I assured them that deaf people know how to take out their own garbage cans once a week. ~Sigh~

Nortwesterners tend to hibernate in the winter time, I am keeping my fingers crossed that once we all get outside into the sunshine that there will be many over the fence conversations. Actually my "backyard" faces the community path, so when and if I get lonely, all I need to do is step out in back, where most of the residents happily walk their dogs.

I highly reccomend the new UltraTec *strobe* doorbell system. It is not perfect, due to the many different circuits in these newer homes, but once you accept the device's shortcomings, you will be pleasantly surprised.

We have snow on the ground this morning, lots of birds at the feeder, including very young American Goldfinches at the thistle feeder. My cats, perched on their window seat love watching them. A very calm and relaxing scene!

Until next time. Hugs.

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that I think you have a really cool blog here! And I love the "smile" picture on the side! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, SilverGoldfish. It is very difficult to find something "different" to blog about these days. 'Easier if we blog about something we know! Chuckle. I am very aware of being oldie but goodie and I am learning about being deaf in a brand new community!

    Lantana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you care to post something about this Sign Language Dictionary for Children project : http://debbietilley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to scroll down and see everything! And I would love it if you left a comment.